The model for Step Smart was the Lee County Injury Prevention Coalition. North Naples Fire/Rescue initiated SS early in 2013 under the direction of Assistant Fire Chief Jorge Aguilera. In July 2014 retired Naples Chamber President, Mike Reagen became the Chair to advance the SS mission. In July 2015, Keith Dameron assumed leadership of SS with an aggressive strategy to expand the reach and capabilities of Step Smart. Today, SS is a 501 (c) (3) nonprofit organization that advocates for fall prevention and is dedicated to presenting fall prevention information to SWFL seniors.
Effective September 22, 2020, Step Smart has officially merged with Step Wise Lee to better serve SWFL in the area of fall prevention education and awareness.
Step Smart presentations are tailored to the needs of each audience and may include:
- Complimentary balance testing with a written report
- Complimentary vision screening
- Complimentary hearing screening
- Medication management and evaluations
- Display of home and condo fall prevention items
- SS Home Safety Check List with 100 fall prevention tips
- Tai Chi demonstrations and tips
- Access to comprehensive senior services
- Information on programs available for seniors